A Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) is a cloud based, HIPPA compliant information technology system used to collect client-level data. Each Continuum of Care (CoC) is responsible for selecting an HMIS software solution that complies with HUD’s data collection, management, and reporting standards.
The Federal register publishes regulations that guide our HMIS response:
§ 578.7Responsibilities of the Continuum of Care.
(b) Designating and operating an HMIS.
The Continuum of Care must:
- Designate a single Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) for the geographic area.
- Designate an eligible applicant to manage the Continuum’s HMIS, which will be known as the HMIS Lead;
- Review, revise, and approve a privacy plan, security plan, and data quality plan for the HMIS.
- Ensure consistent participation of recipients and sub recipients in the HMIS; and
- Ensure the HMIS is administered in compliance with requirements prescribed by HUD
Domestic Violence Shelter providers are prohibited from using HMIS to share client data.