The Media and Advocacy Committee works to increase the visibility of the CoC and advance strategies and solutions to reduce homelessness in the region. The committee creates a media plan each year with quarterly reviews and updates of media coverage. Activities include developing messages about homelessness to be used in the media, drafting press releases, posting on social media, and pitching stories to the media. All activities adhere to the CoC’s Media Relations Policy.
- Create a media plan for the CoC annually
- Develop CoC educational resources such as Centralized Intake brochure, CoC PowerPoint, etc.
- Raise awareness about the CoC via social media
- Draft press releases and pitch stories to the media
Current Media and Advocacy Committee members:
- Chair – Oscar Cerrito-Mendoza, Housing Services Program Manager, AIDS Response Effort
- Chris Monroe, Northwestern Community Services Board
- Laura Black, HMIS Coordinator, Harrisonburg Redevelopment and Housing Authority
- Katie Furneisen, Certified Housing Counselor, Shenandoah Alliance for Shelter
- Tyler Thompson, Family Support Specialist, Frederick County Public Schools
- Karen Via, Patient Ambassador, Harrisonburg Community Health Center
- Zanata Fenn, HOPWA Case Manager, AIDS Response Effort