This spring, to address the heightened needs of those most vulnerable in our region, the Western Virginia Continuum of Care has been the recipient of additional funding through our state grant agency, the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD), to provide further financial support of our communities emergency shelter operations (ESO) and rapid re-housing (RRH). These programs are currently supported through DHDC’s Virginia Homeless Solutions Program (VHSP) grant, but the call for safe, stable housing for individuals and families to stay in place during the pandemic, particularly those currently experiencing homelessness, required additional resources to support those efforts, as well as ensure safe quarantine options for those medical vulnerable and/or requiring isolation.
The emergency shelter funds (ESO) enabled two of our regional, winter thermal shelters, one in Harrisonburg and one in Front Royal, to extend their operation efforts and provided support in a third shelter opening in the Winchester area. Additionally, ESO funds provided hotel/motel vouchers for individuals needing to isolate throughout the CoC catchment area.
The Rapid Rehousing funds are providing provider agencies with additional resources to support individuals and families in obtaining and maintaining housing, within the CoC’s jurisdiction. If you or someone you know is facing a housing crisis or is currently experiencing homelessness, please contact the Western Virginia CoC’s Centralized Housing Intake number at (540) 271-1701.
- City of Harrisonburg CARES Act Nonprofit Assistance ApplicationNonprofits in Harrisonburg needing support due to COVID-19’s impact on their operations can soon apply for funding made available by federal CARES Act monies. The City of Harrisonburg is allocating $900,000 for eligible nonprofits affected by the pandemic, with applications now being accepted. The City will accept applications through the Community Foundation until Monday, October… Continue Reading COVID Funding
- COVID-19 Housing Resources RoundtableJoin the Housing Coalition of the Northern Shenandoah Valley for a roundtable discussion and sharing of resources for housing assistance during this COVID-19 pandemic on Tuesday, Aug 25, 2020 09:30 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada) . Come hear from local agencies about the services they provide and prepare to listen, learn and if you… Continue Reading COVID Funding
- State Funding Awarded For COVID-19WESTERN VIRGINIA CONTINUUM OF CARE AWARDED STATE FUNDING FOR COVID-19 RELATED EMERGENCY SHELTER & HOUSING SUPPORT This spring and summer, the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) awarded the Western Virginia Continuum of Care (CoC) funding to support housing and shelter programs for those most vulnerable during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic through DHCD’s… Continue Reading COVID Funding
- CoC COVID-19 Funding through DHCDOn April 2, 2020, the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) informed the Western Virginia Continuum of Care (CoC) that funding had been allocated to the CoC in the amount of $123,251.76 for COVID-19 support. The CoC Executive Committee established funding priorities as: Unsheltered individuals Sheltered individuals with no daytime shelter Unsheltered/sheltered individuals… Continue Reading COVID Funding
- CoC measures to curb the spread of COVID-19According to the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), families and individuals experiencing homelessness are more vulnerable to infectious diseases due to lack of access to primary care, mobility, and poor health status from extended episodes of homelessness. Here are a few one-pagers from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) concerning the novel… Continue Reading COVID Funding