The primary goal of the Continuum of Care is to end homelessness.
The Western Continuum of Care (CoC) is a funding and planning approach that helps communities provide prevention, emergency, transitional, and permanent housing, and other services to address homelessness. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) requires that all communities establish a CoC. Participants can include nonprofit organizations, businesses, local and state government departments, schools, hospitals, community members, and many more. The primary goal of the CoC is to end homelessness
The Continuum’s region comprises six counties and two cities. The area is partially urban and predominantly rural. Rural homelessness can be an outwardly invisible problem in a community. People sleep in tents, abandoned farm buildings, cars, and other places that can blend into the countryside in rural locations.
The CoC funds partner agencies who offer shelter, homeless prevention, rapid rehousing for homeless households, permanent supportive housing and street outreach. The continuum of care also funds a central housing intake hotline that is the service referral hub of the CoC. The intake staff assesses callers and routes them to the appropriate housing provider. Last year, the CoC placed over 300 persons into permanent housing through rapid rehousing referred through centralized intake.
This CoC promotes a Housing First approach: priority is placed on getting someone into permanent housing as quickly as possible. When needed, the agency secures supportive services such as substance abuse treatment or mental health counseling.
To facilitate the collaborative work needed to address homelessness in our region, our CoC has formed multi agency committees who partner to make homelessness rare, brief, and nonrecurring. You can learn more about our CoC structure if you follow this link here.
- Community Events and AnnouncementsTenant Town Hall Date: June 2, 2021 Time: 7 p.m. Location: Zoom https://vplc.salsalabs.org/shenandoahtownhall/index.html?fbclid=IwAR1dT_I7BjcQo8HaN8y5_0UXBq4fbSAZriJbZzxagn9rkk007uAGcJsxU7c Join the Virginia Poverty Law Center (VPLC) and Blue Ridge Legal Services (BRLS) for a virtual town hall for tenants and service providers who work with tenants. During the virtual meeting, we will focus on tenant issues in your region of the state and go over new Virginia laws on how to avoid eviction. Following the overview of Virginia evictions… Continue Reading Home
- Housing Coalition of the Northern Shenandoah Valley is hosting a housing summit. Register here:https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUuc-2urjwsHtwPMXTvjiuzGILXnIJ-n4Kd
- FY20 CONTINUUM OF CARE NON-COMPETITIVE NOTICE AND FUNDING REPORTThe U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) today awarded $2.5 billion to renew support to thousands of local homeless assistance programs across the nation. This Non-competitive Funding Notice establishes the funding criteria for the FY 2020 Continuum of Care (CoC) Program. HUD is making available approximately $2.5 billion through a non-competitive process to distribute Fiscal Year 2020 appropriated funds to CoC grant recipients whose current grants expire in Calendar Year 2021. The… Continue Reading Home
- VDH link to register for COVID vaccinationPeople living in homeless shelters are at increased risk because homeless services are often provided in congregate settings, which could facilitate the spread of infection. Because many people who are homeless are older adults or have underlying medical conditions, they may also be at increased risk for severe illness. Those living in homeless shelters and homeless shelter workers will receive the vaccine through the local health departments. Please register here: COVID-19 Vaccine – Virginia COVID-19… Continue Reading Home
- Self-care Support for ProvidersPlease Join Mental Health Technology Transfer Center (MHTTC) on Wednesday, January 20, from 11am-12pm Pacific, as they launch their live monthly webinar and podcast series on provider well-being and self-care featuring Aleks Martin, MSW, LSWAIC, SUDP of A/M Consulting & Clinical Services. Live sessions will be held on the third Wednesday of the month, January-August, from 11:00am to 12:00pm Pacific, starting Wednesday, January 20. Podcasts will be released the following week. Learn more… Continue Reading Home
- Housing Provider Survey H.B. 854 Statewide Housing StudyVirginia Housing Programs and Policies Survey – Online Surveys | QuestionPro Survey What is HB 854? House Resolution HB 854 contains language directing Virginia Housing and the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) to conduct a study of state policies and programs which influence the creation and preservation of affordable housing. HB 854 passed both houses of the General Assembly with unanimous support in the 2020 regular session. HousingForward Virginia is assisting Virginia… Continue Reading Home
- Notice of Funding OpportunityVHDA Capacity Building Grant Tier 3 – Program Enhancement & Evaluation Funding Purpose: REACH Virginia FUNDING OPPORTUNITY: VHDA reinvests a portion of our net revenues into Virginia’s communities through REACH Virginia (Resources Enabling Affordable Community Housing in Virginia). This is a multifaceted resource that VHDA uses to support vital housing initiatives through our Homeownership, Rental and Community Outreach programs. The intent of the Tier 3 Capacity Building Grant – Program Enhancement & Evaluation is to fund non-profit organizations seeking to enhance… Continue Reading Home
- Choices, Council on Domestic Violence for Page Co. Inc., seeks Executive DirectorChoices, based in Luray, Virginia, provides free and confidential services to survivors of physical, verbal, emotional or sexual abuse, or rape. Services include safe shelter, referrals to community agencies, legal advocacy, financial planning and peer support. Choices also works to prevent domestic and sexual violence through educational outreach. Choices is seeking an individual with strong skills in: program and budget planning & implementation, supervision and personnel management, grant writing & administration, and communications to serve… Continue Reading Home