The primary goal of the Continuum of Care is to end homelessness.
The Western Continuum of Care (CoC) is a funding and planning approach that helps communities provide prevention, emergency, transitional, and permanent housing, and other services to address homelessness. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) requires that all communities establish a CoC. Participants can include nonprofit organizations, businesses, local and state government departments, schools, hospitals, community members, and many more. The primary goal of the CoC is to end homelessness
The Continuum’s region comprises six counties and two cities. The area is partially urban and predominantly rural. Rural homelessness can be an outwardly invisible problem in a community. People sleep in tents, abandoned farm buildings, cars, and other places that can blend into the countryside in rural locations.
The CoC funds partner agencies who offer shelter, homeless prevention, rapid rehousing for homeless households, permanent supportive housing and street outreach. The continuum of care also funds a central housing intake hotline that is the service referral hub of the CoC. The intake staff assesses callers and routes them to the appropriate housing provider. Last year, the CoC placed over 300 persons into permanent housing through rapid rehousing referred through centralized intake.
This CoC promotes a Housing First approach: priority is placed on getting someone into permanent housing as quickly as possible. When needed, the agency secures supportive services such as substance abuse treatment or mental health counseling.
To facilitate the collaborative work needed to address homelessness in our region, our CoC has formed multi agency committees who partner to make homelessness rare, brief, and nonrecurring. You can learn more about our CoC structure if you follow this link here.
- NOFO FY21 HUD CoC Consolidated ApplicationThe Western Virginia Continuum of Care final NOFO FY21 consolidated application will be submitted to HUD by November 16 2021. The Consolidated application which includes the CoC application and the project priority listing are posted below. We thank all the NOFO FY21 applicants for their collaboration and commitment to end homelessness in our community. Please email Isaiah Mejah, Western Virginia Continuum of Care Coordinator for further information or question Isaiahm@harrisonburgrha.com
- Department of Medicaid Assistance Services (DMAS) needs your Input!Please join the Department of Medicaid Assistance Services (DMAS) on November 9, 2021 at 1pm to provide input to the design of the High Needs Support (HNS) Program, which will provide critical housing supports to the Commonwealth’s high needs Medicaid members. This webinar should be attended by organizations that deliver housing and other supportive services to those with a behavioral health need, need for assistance with activities of daily living, or a complex… Continue Reading Home
- Notice of NOFO FY21 Funding DecisionAfter reviewing the NOFO FY21 project applications, the CoC’s funding priority list is complete. There were three applications for renewal projects and two applications for new projects. Below are the funding recommendations identified by the Ad Hoc Committee for your review. If you have any questions or comments, please contact Isaiah Mejah, CoC coordinator, at IsaiahM@harrisonburgrha.com
- At-Home / Point of Care COVID-19 TestsVDH is currently accepting requests for COVID testing kits. These will be provided free of charge to organizations to assist in your COVID response efforts—all grantees wishing to receive a shipment of testing kits a request by completing the request form.
- Applications are now open for the Virginia Eviction Reduction Pilot (VERP)The Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development is now accepting applications for the Virginia Eviction Reduction Pilot (VERP) DHCD will allocate $3,000,000 of these funds to aid localities, nonprofits, Planning District Commissions, and Housing Authorities in reducing evictions through systems changes that make eviction rare, brief, and humane. A $250,000 set-aside will allow Grantees to pilot a court navigator program as part of their VERP grant award. The contract period will be… Continue Reading Home
- FY21 HUD Continuum of Care Notice of Funding OpportunityThe U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has released the Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO), making $2.656 billion in FY 2021 Continuum of Care Program (CoC) competitive funding available to homeless services organizations across the country for supportive services and housing programs for people experiencing homelessness, and including up to $102,000,000 available for Domestic Violence (DV)Bonus projects. The western Virginia Continuum of Care will submit one application for funding to meet… Continue Reading Home
- Rent Relief Program Housing NavigatorsBlue Ridge Legal Services has hired 3 Housing Navigators to help tenants apply for the Rent Relief Program. The housing navigators will serve the areas from Lexington to Winchester. Click on the housing navigator’s flyers below to see more details. Nicole Morrow covers Buena Vista, Covington, and Lexington Alleghany, Bath, Rockbridge, Staunton, Waynesboro, and Augusta. Crimson Solano covers Harrisonburg, Rockingham, and all Spanish speaking tenants. Jenny Utley covers Page, Winchester, Clarke, Frederick, Shenandoah,… Continue Reading Home
- Funding opportunities through Virginia HousingVirginia Housing is awarding single- and multiyear grants to Nonprofit organizations, Government entities and Faith-based organizations through REACH Virginia program. The grant program areas include Network Capacity Support, Community Market Support, Homeownership Market Support, and Accessibility Grants. Prospective applicants are encouraged to follow the links below and review all the information provided. If your organization needs more information email firstname.lastname@example.org https://www.vhda.com/BusinessPartners/GovandNon-Profits/CommunityOutreach/Pages/Grant-Program-Areas.aspx https://www.vhda.com/BusinessPartners/GovandNon-Profits/CommunityOutreach/Pages/Grant-Programs.aspx